- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Melt the butter and then add the onions. Fry until they begin to soften.
- Add the carrots and celery. Fry until they just begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the stock, herbs, and peppercorns. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- After about 30 minutes when the veg is nearly cooked, stir in the rice and simmer until the rice and veg are fully cooked.
- Add the peas and turkey. Stir well and season to taste. Remove from the heat. Fish out the bay leaves, thyme sprigs, sage leaves, and peppercorns.
- Cover and let rest for about 15 minutes. Serve with crusty bread.
You can also use cooked rice- just skip step 5 and add it with the turkey. Finally, leftover chicken would be a perfect substitute for turkey!